It is hard not to feel afraid during these times, especially in my profession for many reasons.
But, it does not help us to feel afraid.
Fear is related to the Kidneys in Chinese Medicine.
The Kidneys, are "the root of life."
The Kidneys store our essence, our essence is our back-up, our constitution. We all have unique constitutions, which is why Chinese Medicine is so powerful because we treat everyone as an individual.
Our immune system (click to watch a brief video) in Chinese Medicine is rooted in the Kidney Yang.
We are made of Yin and Yang.
The Yang is the warming protective energy of our body.
When we experience excessive fear, that draws and depletes our Kidneys, you equate it to Adrenal Fatigue, as when we are stressed, cortisol spikes in our bodies, and our adrenals get fatigued over time.
Cortisol is really there for emergencies, like if you need to run from a bear. Read this newsletter for some great resources. When Cortisol is spiked for long periods of time it starts to break down our immunity.
So, what can we do ? Breathe. Move, gently if you must, hydrate, rest. Unplug if you need to.
Focus on your sense of safety. We have some great Meditations available on this website for you.
The lungs and Kidneys have a relationship.
The Kidneys receive the breath from the Lungs. So when we have trouble breathing sometimes it is a lack of Kidney qi being able to "grasp the qi " from the Lungs, so then the qi reverses and we can't breath.
So, imagine if you are very afraid. Most of us can relate to that, if you have ever had a panic attack, then you know that feeling.
Let's imagine breathing deeply, maybe you can imagine your diaphragm expanding. You could even picture your lungs and kidneys, that they communicate. Imagine, your breath filling your kidneys, and your kidneys rising up to protect your lungs.
Otherwise, Hydrate with warm waters, teas and soups.
In health and wellness,
In light of certain events, here are some great immune boosting tips!
I believe in our immune systems.
- Now, I am not saying to go hop on a train to China today or anything.
But, do things to help your immune system, and if you are nervous it helps to realize, how viruses work, and how co-infections happen.
I have asthma and I do have to be careful with respiratory illnesses, so for one, do things to
strengthen your lungs.
1. Walking, exercise is highly detoxifying, our blood is powerful, it cleanses our bodies for us.
2. Liver Health, avoid too much alcohol, start your day with lemon and/or apple cider vinegar. Lemon is alkalizing and disease and bacteria do not like an acidic environment. Lemon is so great for liver, it is astringent as well and helps us to stay hydrated.
3. Drink Water- Water is so powerful! We are made up of at least 80% Water! Also water is cooling , hydrated lungs and tissues are way less susceptible to damage!
4. Take Vitamin C! Vitamin C helps our body make more White blood cells which help to strengthen our immunity!
5. And yes.. Wash your hands!
6. Get Acupuncture ! The immune system in Chinese Medicine is called the Wei QI, this is a protective energy that circulates our bodies just above the skin. If your QI is strong, a pathogen can't enter.
If a pathogen does get through the stronger the internal QI of our body is the easier it can push the pathogen out, and/or we can heal faster.
7. Viruses enter our cells and change the DNA, or cause damage, that is why there isn't much that can be done except support our bodies once we have it. BUT, there are many amazing chinese herbs that are anti-viral, that can help boost your immunity. Usually we use herbs to both strengthen your body and kill the virus, or push it out of your body. We can customize formulas for you, or right now I am taking an anti-viral every day to protect myself.
8. Avoid SUGAR! Sugar creates acidity in the body, and guess what? Bacteria FEED on sugar! So I highly recommend staying away from sugar to boost your immunity. (this helps to prevent co-infections)
9. A segway, our gut is our first line of defense, so the healthier we are eating the better. What are a few tips, eat soup, healthy fats and proteins, limit complex carbs as they are the same as sugar.
10. REST, when you are tired, take a nap, go to bed earlier, watch a movie. LISTEN TO YOUR BODY.
When we are tired, we need more Qi, you can take a gentle walk, stretch or rest. Your body will tell you what you need.
11. Get sunshine! Sunshine is a perfect example of the Yang in Chinese Medicine, warming, protective, very important for immunity! And energizing!
12. Yoga. I LoVE yoga. I get sick so much less when I practice regularly. Yoga is a full system meant to detoxify us, keep us strong and healthy. One, you breathe deeply, strengthening the lungs, many poses cut off blood flow and then increase it, this flushes blood through our organs, lymph system, muscles and glands.
13. De-Stress. Make your mental health a priority, the less stressed we feel, the more optimistic, the brighter our SHEN (spirit/mind in Chinese Medicine? - the stronger our vitality and will are.
These are just a few tips for immunity, that give you a stronger chance of staying healthy and if you get sick, recovering. This doesn't mean we don't get sick, but it helps our body to defend itself on it's own . The human body is truly amazing. If you are immunocompromised, then you know the measures you must take, if you suspect you are ill the CDC recommends you also stay home, rest and call your Doctor.
Mention this blog and take 20% off Herbs and Acupuncture for your next visit. Also, please comment below if you have questions or want to share.
There can be a lot of reasons why we feel tired?
We live in a society where PUSHING is given accolades.
Sure, we may feel tired if we need some Vitamin D, or Iron, or have adrenal fatigue, or eat too much sugar.
But what if we are actually TIRED?
What if we rested when we tired?
What would that be like for you?
One of the reasons we offer longer sessions here is to let people rest. It takes 28 minutes for the energy to circulate through body.
What can we do to help re-set ourselves?
Basically we need to find ways to quiet our fight or flight systems, so we aren't in chronic stress.
Any time that we don't feel safe, it ignites our fight or flight system, our limbic system.
The newer more evolved part of our brain is the PFC, or pre frontal cortex, or Neo Cortex.
What if your body is trying to tell you something?
If you listened to your body, what would it tell you?
Would you need more fun in your life? Creativity?
What could you do for yourself ? Do you need a little cat nap every day? Eat less sugar?
I invite you listen to one thing your body has to tell you.
Compassion, Empathy, Problem solving are all emotions of our more evolved brain.
Also, if you feel tired, please find a way to rest, maybe it's a walk in the sunshine.
#acupunctureforwellbeing #peace #restfullife
Over the years of practice, (and in myself), I have noticed that people with anxiety, depression, and insomnia, have "flare-ups". A lot of these correspond with trauma or issues that can get triggered. But hey, guess what stress does? It causes inflammation. In Chinese Medicine, inflammation could be translated as heat.
So for someone with insomnia, they finally have their sleep under control.. and BAM something happens, maybe it's diet or a break up, or a memory, and their insomnia is BACK.
I read such an interesting article the other day in a Naturopathic Medicine Newsletter, that anxiety has been treated with Anti-inflammatory herbs, such as Turmeric, that made sooo much sense to me! I agree!
This has not been proven, but I know as someone who has worked with my own own anxiety naturally, this is true ! It seems to me to be the equivalent of an auto-immune disease which can get triggered, and sometimes has a "mind of it's own". What I mean by that is that we have patterns in our nervous system that take over, they want to keep up safe, Our brain likes familiarity, that releases dopamine, the "feel good" neurotransmitter, even when something is not good for us. Or we are going along in life, thinking everything is fine, and one negative experience can "ruin" it all!
The question is ? How to we find way to heal and regulate ourselves. I recommend so many tools, Neurosculpting, shaking, acupuncture, herbs, taking walks and more. These are just a few of my observations and opinions, I am not against medication, it can be the perfect, lovely way to support your body. Long term chronic stress, and anxiety are intense and hard on the body. How can we love ourselves and our bodies more? Answer below if you wish to.
Please contact me if you have questions about treating your anxiety etc.
Peace - What we are striving for.. www.dictionary.com/browse/peace
#findingpeace #acupunctureforwellbeing #anxiety #depression #insomnia #stefanierothert
This has always been a challenge for me. We assume that it should be easy to be happy, and for some people it really is !
What is different for those people? Well a lot of time, they seem to expect things to work out, and guess what? In one way or another they do?
One of the biggest things that has helped me is using Neurosculpting ® techniques and gratitude.
Upon waking, I let myself wiggle my toes and I think of what I am grateful for, like health! Health is HUGE. As an Acupuncturist, I am exposed to ill health and dis-ease. Even when I am ill, I make so many promises to myself to be happier.
Last winter, I was sick twice! It was quite a doozy and felt like a roadblock (and a bit of a vacation).
So, Gratitude and thinking of how your needs might be met in this very moment are fantastic ways to shift from grouchy to at least feeling safe.
The first step in the five step Neurosculpting Meditation process is called the induction.
Even if you practiced that for five minutes a day it could create a HUGE Shift!
What is that?
We basically "down-regulate" our fight or flight system, stress response.
How do we do that?
We think of ways that we are safe in the moment.
When we don't feel safe, our survival mechanism turns on, the stress response.
It has it's place, like if you are being chased by a bear!
I invite you think of things that make you feel unsafe, it can be big or small, perhaps not enough money in the bank, or food, or a person in your life, too many spam emails and more.
Now, I invite you to notice your body, how are you safe in this very moment. For me, I love socks, socks help me feel safe, I love knee high socks, I love boots, they feel supportive, it's a silly thing, but it helps me feel safe!
Now Gratitude, it literally does help us to shift into the higher centers of our brain!
1. I am grateful to be alive.
2. I am grateful for a safe car.
3. I am grateful for my cup of coffee in the morning.
4. I am so grateful for my strong body.
5. I am so grateful that I am mostly healthy, for essential oils that help my asthma.
What are your five??
Checkout more at NeurosculptingInsitute.com also I offer private sessions and workshops.
#neurosculpting #cultivatinghappiness #meditation #mindfulliving